So these are the steps we took.
1. Try to have a job close to home. 5 miles on a bike is Not that far. It usually takes about 30 min. if you don't have to many hills (and are in better shape than me ;)
2.Try a trip to the closest market. Take your kids or whatever and just go get a popsicle! Get two and you can have one as a reward when you get home!
3. Get the proper gear. Being car dependant means your bike is your car. Packing your bike for trips means lighter, smaller and more efficient. Take only what you need and make sure you have proper equipment in case of flats!
4.Bike paths and wide shoulders are our friends. Riding the road is important. You obey the law and it is safer in intersections. Take proper precautions and wear a helmet and safety gear!
5. You don't have to be car-less to be car free!
6. Public transportation is our friend. It does not make you 2nd class and if the buses look sketchy rally for better upkeep!
7. The best advice I can give is really to set goals and to reach them. Just a little at a time. Also try to find someone to do it with. I always find that more enjoyable!