Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I can only handle so many people with their heads up their butts!!

You know everyday I ride my bike.  Sometimes long rides sometimes short, but NEVER EVER since the day we gave up that stupid car have I had a day like today!  I really just want to sit down and cry.  I feel so blessed that I am able to even type this letter and hold my little girl.  
I try so hard to follow all traffic rules.  I stop at stop lights and at stop signs.  I do a lot of things that most cyclists feel does not apply to them.  I don't care, I am safe because I HAVE to be safe.  I not only have to care for my life but the life of my baby.  PEOPLE OPEN YOUR EYES! I wish this blog reached more people so that they can pass this on! So those who do read this PASS IT ON.
 I was not almost hit not just once today or even twice.  I was hit almost 11 TIMES. And mind you this is in less than a one hour period.  I don't exaggerate, this is 2 human lives I am talking about.  Everyday you get in your car do you think to yourself,  "Hey I am driving a vehicle that weighs 1/4 ton, it has a steal frame and could drive thru a brick wall." No you don't, Every time I get on my bike I have to think about this.  I don't worry about one vehicle I have to worry about all vehicles. Ones that are parked, ones that don't stop at the stop line when making a right turn, ones that obey rules and ones that don't.  I do hope that you drive safe for the safety of your children.  I hope you remember that you not only have their lives to worry about but you have EVERYONE else's to worry about when you are on the road.  They gave you a license because they thought you could handle that responsibility.  It's just like having a license to carry a weapon.  You choose what you will do with it.  Accidents happen but it is still your responsibility!
 I am not a car hater, someday I may own a car again. I am one who values life. If I can cut out unnecessary risks than that is what I will do. I will help to promote bicycle advocacy and pedestrian advocacy if needs be. And I will yell at you if you are in your car and not driving safe, and I will give ugly looks.  I hate being angry but I have yet to find a solution to help people realize they are endangering peoples lives. No one is in that big of a hurry that they can't be safe. Life is more important! 
Anyway in the meantime I will work to improve my imperfections.  I will try harder to be patient and work on my anger.  It is a poison and it only makes me feel less of a person.  I ask you all just to remember as you get in the car how important it is to drive safely.  Not just for your sake or bicyclists sake, but for the sake of other people who are driving as well.  

Krysta

7 comments:

ShEiLa said...

Amen Sister... when I am in my car I feel like this with semi-trucks... and those '3 bangers' as I call them should be illegal the way they snake all over the road. I try to always watch out for bikers... can't imagine the fear when it's not just you but your child involved. Hang in there! You probably pray the entire trip everywhere you go... I would.
ToOdLeS.ShEiLA

ShEiLa said...

I made a special post on your behalf Krysta. May your biking travels be safe.
ToOdLeS AgAiN.... ShEiLA

Corey and Haley said...

You guys should move to Europe!... The bikes rule all here... for real.. especially in Germany and Holland... if you drive a car people look at you funny :),,, good luck in the states though! you guys are very brave!

Chavonne said...

You got me all fire up Krysta. I love you so much. Keep on keepin on. I think it's great what you guys are doing.

bottom_of_the_mirror said...

I will get you a blow horn for Christmas. then you can yell at them and make them feel horrible enough to give you money and beg on their hands and knees for your forgivenss. Or you could always just slash their tires. I'm all for that one too=) Ah there is nothing quite so sweet as revenge. Don't worry, they'll get whats coming to them.

Jenny Ramsey said...

glad to find your blog!! you make an excellent point and what a great way to raise awareness. i will spread the message!! :)

J. said...

Amen!!!